Let’s face it, being married is work. Good work, but it’s work. There are many plans and decisions to be made so you can call yourselves “married”. One of them includes whether or not you change your last name. For some this isn’t a big deal. They expected the change. For others there is much uncertainty as they ride the fence considering the pros and cons of a name change. If you’re looking for some reasons to keep your name here are 7 reasons, from cultural to personal or business, why women choose to keep their own last name.
1. It’s Trending. According to a New York Times survey reported in 2015, the number of women keeping their last name is again trending upward. Approximately 20% of women choose not to take their husband’s name while another 10% combine it with their own using a hyphen. During that same period in 2015, wedding announcements in the NYT showed nearly 30% of the brides keeping their last name.
2. Professional Reasons. If you’ve built a name for yourself in your industry, starting over again with a new name and rebuilding that reputation may not be wise. Your work and reputation could be forgotten and all the work you’ve done vanish.
3. The celebrities are doing it. Why not you? You see it in the tabloids and media. Many of the married stars are keeping their last name. Just because they marry doesn’t mean they give up their name.
4. Oh the paperwork! Changing your last name is a legal process not to be taken lightly. Depending on the state in which you live it could be a time consuming, arduous process to navigate and finish. Keeping your last name saves weeks and sometimes months of clerical headaches and nightmares.
5. Spell Checker Anyone? You spent years in grade school, college and now the working world to hear names slaughtered, misspelled and mispronounced. If you’re partners name falls in that category, and people never seem to get their name right, you might be better off keeping your own name.
6. Deep Meaning. You feel a deep and rich heritage in your name. It’s a legacy to you and your family. You wouldn’t feel the same without it.
7. The “End” of a Family Name. You may come from a family of girls. You could be an only child. Giving up your last name ends a family name. It prevents you from passing on your family name to your children and generations.
Whether you keep your name, change it or hyphenate it it’s important you feel comfortable with new arrangement. In the end it’s about working with your significant other to reach something you both are happy with. After all, marriage is about spending happy years together.